Thursday, October 25, 2012

Things are looking up:)

My final chemo infusion was three weeks ago today, and I am so happy to report that I am noticing a definite increase in my energy level. When I was in the middle of my chemo treatments, it made me tired just thinking about making dinner, cleaning the house or going to the store. Today, it felt great to have the stamina to run errands,  do some cleaning, bake a cake and make dinner without feeling like I was going to collapse at the end of  the day.

I am also loving being back substitute teaching again. It has been especially nice working again at Issaquah Valley Elementary, the school I was at for the majority of last school year doing a 2nd grade long-term assignment. Everyone there has been so wonderful and supportive since my diagnosis. I have so appreciated being welcomed back with such sweet words, smiles and hugs. It's also been great to see my former students and their parents, who I haven't seen since last April (just before my surgery).

In other news, I had my port removed last week. Woo hoo! Prior to the procedure, I couldn't help but think about what a different place I was at mentally when I had my port put in...I was just two days away from starting chemo.

I was almost giddy this time around. And I have to say that the folks at SCCA do a great job not only making you feel comfortable, but actually making it an enjoyable experience. When they rolled me into the operating room, R&B music was blasting from the speakers and the surgical team members were joking around with me. And then they gave me the IV conscious sedation drug, which I think should be renamed the "happy drug."

After the procedure, they cranked up the tunes again and then sent me off to post-op where I thoroughly enjoyed cheese and crackers and mini chocolate chip cookies. At the time, I felt like I was having the tastiest snack in the world. In fact, when the nurse said she was going to have Mike come back to see me, I said: "Ok. As long as you don't let him have any of my cookies." She brought him his own bag:).

It's looking like radiation will start the first week and November and my doctor has promised that she will do her very best to make sure my treatments are done by Christmas.

I also thought I would include a picture from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day. I am so proud of you for walking 60 miles in three days, Laur, Angela  and Sheri! And I am so glad Nick and I were able to be there to cheer you on.



 




1 comment:

  1. So great to hear you're feeling good and getting your energy back! Can't wait to meet up!
    I've got some time off scheduled in early November, so if I can help in any way while you're starting radiation, let me know - I'm there :;)

    ReplyDelete