Monday, October 8, 2012

Done with Chemo:)

After five long months of chemotherapy treatments, I am happy to report that I am finally done! I think it's still sinking in that I am actually finished. Thank you to all of you for your incredible support along the way!!

I am looking forward to gaining my energy back in the weeks and months to come. I have to say I am so tired of being tired.

I will definitely be putting my stamina to the test this week as I return to substitute teaching for the first time since just before my surgery in April. I will be teaching 4/5 graders for a half day on Wednesday and 3rd graders for a full day on Friday. I am very excited to be getting back in the classroom, but am definitely nervous about making it through the school day...especially this soon after finishing chemo. But I decided to just go for it and see how I do. Wish me luck!

In a previous post, I mentioned that I had decided to get the lymphnode dissection surgery in lieu of radiation therapy. Well..after some more thought and additional conversations with all of  my doctors and my dad, I have changed my mind. I will be getting radiation therapy after all. The reason: Radiation will significantly reduce the risk of recurrence on my chest wall. I feel good about this final decision and am at peace knowing that I am getting the most aggressive treatment possible. No regrets!

The plan is to start my radiation treatments in early November. I will heading across the lake to receive radiation every weekday for 4-6 weeks. I am hoping to be done before Christmas. Because of radiation's impact on my skin and tissue, I will have to wait about 6 months for reconstructive surgery.

In other news, my hair is starting to come back in, and I hope to be able start going "hatless" within the next few weeks. :) I also went to my first Young Survivor's Coalition support group meeting last week. After just one meeting, I am already hooked. What a blessing to be able to talk candidly with other women about what we are going through. Thank you to my friend, Jen, for encouraging me to go.

That's all for now:)

1 comment:

  1. Darcy,

    I am so incredibly proud of you! Hugs to you...will be sending positive thoughts your way as you head back to the classroom! WOW! Wish I could give you a big hug, and share a glass of wine...thanks for keeping us in the loop - Love, Angela

    ReplyDelete