Thursday, November 15, 2012

Snug as a bug in a rug:)

I started my radiation treatments last week, and so far so good.

In fact (I know this may sound crazy), but the treatment experience is actually a rather calming one. Yes; you enter a room with a door the size of an elephant with the words "High Radiation Area" on it, which would instinctually make a person want to head for the hills.

But once I get in the room, I'm made to feel quite comfy/cozy...like a child being tucked into bed. A warm blanket is placed over my legs. And once they get me positioned properly on the bed, they place a heavy blanket called a brass bolus (this increases the dose of radiation to the skin) over my chest. I call it "my bling" :).

Once they have me tucked in as "snug as a bug in a rug:)," my three radiation therapists leave the room and I lay still while enjoying the music of Norah Jones or Green Day (I prefer the latter!) and staring at the lit up beach scene - palm trees and all - on the ceiling. Just a couple minutes later, I am sent on my way.

I drive to SCCA every day, except weekends and holiday, to get my treatments. I will be getting 33 treatments in all, with my last one on December 21. While the 1 hour drive (roundtrip) isn't ideal, I have to admit it's nice to have an excuse to be in the city everyday especially around the holidays.

My daily treatments unfortunately haven't allowed me to do any substitute teaching jobs during the last couple weeks...but I am hoping to pick up some half day jobs here and there before winter break.

In other news, my hair is really starting to come in now. Yay! It's been so nice not having to wear a hat all the time. And my eyelashes are making a comeback as well. You can't really see them yet, but there are a bunch of baby ones sprouting up :).

Well...that's all for now. Hoping you are all enjoying your fall and wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!






No comments:

Post a Comment