Saturday, May 12, 2012

Here we go!

So it's official! I have my first chemotherapy infusion this Friday, May 18. I'm not gonna lie. I am definitely nervous about how my body is going to react to this first dose. They say your first infusion typically gives you a pretty good indication as to how your body will react to the rest of the treatments. Nausea and fatigue are the two main issues I will have to deal with...The nausea I plan to stay on top of by taking the oral anti-nausea medication before I actually start feeling symptoms. And I plan to continue to get exercise daily in order to help reduce the fatigue. I have started a routine of doing a 45 minute brisk walk in the afternoon and then picking up Nicholas at his daycare on the way home. And I hope to keep that up as much as possible through my 20 weeks of chemo.

On Friday, I got a sneak peek of what to expect at the infusion thanks to Molly, my amazing friend and high school classmate. Molly also has breast cancer, and I spent time visiting with her at one of her last chemo sessions. Only two to go, Molly! Yay! Spending time in an SCCA infusion room with her has helped alleviate a lot of my anxiety about the whole chemo experience. What would I do without you, my friend?! Molly will be getting her breast surgery after she is done with chemo...so it has been wonderful for the two of us to get an idea of what to expect from what's to come. I only hope that I handle my chemo treatments (and all of the side effects that come with them) with as much grace and positivity as Molly.

So my big sister, Laurie, will be spending my first chemo day with me. And I fully expect us to have lots of shits and giggles. No pressure, Laur:)

I will keep you all posted on how the first chemo goes. I hope you are all having a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!!





6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the first treatment...we are thinking of you and cheering you on...not to mention learning a lot! Love the blog, love you! Susie Annie and Jet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you all ! I hope that you adapt well to the treatment. It sounds like you are prepared. You are the bravest person I know!! Love you, Buck and Nick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the first treatment went well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read it twice, wondering why you were "shitting" and "giggling". Then I realized you meant saying it!! Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's the news, Darc? How about going to meditation next Monday?

    ReplyDelete