Thank you to everyone for all of your thoughtful and inspiring comments. You have no idea how much they mean to me.
So I had my post-operative appointment with my breast surgeon today, and she seemed very impressed that I have been off pain medications for over a week and she said all of my surgery wounds were healing really well.
At the start of the appointment, a resident who works with the surgeon, came in to talk with me first. He sat down and looked at Mike, my dad, and me and said quite morosely: "So in light of the fact that you tested positive for the BRCA gene, looks like we are recommending a bilateral mastectomy." I, of course, responded with: "Um, I had the surgery two weeks ago." Needless to say, the resident was mortified and clearly flustered the entire rest of his visit with me. And, of course, he didn't say a word when he came back in with the surgeon. My dad said we should have played along with him for a bit....but I didn't have the heart. More like...I didn't think on my feet quiickly enough to actually play along:)
I was presented with a choice today, which doesn't have to be made until after chemo (thank goodness!), on either having an axillary lymphnode dissection surgery (because they found a 1 mm micrometastesis in the lymphnode they took during my surgery) or doing radiation therapy on the same area. They both would have the same outcome, but they each present different (and some that are the same) potential side effects. That said, we are going to do lots of research so that we can make an informed decision that makes the most sense for me.
I also found out today that the start date for my chemotherapy treatment will be two to four weeks from now. I have to get my heart checked out next week to make sure it is strong and ready for chemo, then I will meet with my oncologist to discuss the chemo medications they will be using, etc. and then they will put in my a porto-cathe (it's like a permanent IV under my skin), which will make blood draws and chemo infusions a whole lot easier for everyone involved. I will also hopefully start some physical therapy next week to help me get back the range of motion in my arms.
Okay...I have one more tidbit from the day of my surgery to share before I sign off...So my friend, Molly, shared a quote with me a few days prior to my surgery. Here's how it goes: "You give up your breasts and get back the rest of your life." So when I was just about to be taken from recovery to my room, I told everyone (doctors, nurses, etc.) in the room to wait a second because I had something important to say....and this is what I said, "You give up your breasts and you give up your life." Oops! What can I say...I was still coming off of the anesthesia:)
I laughed out loud when I read your breast quote! I'm sure you shocked the hell out of the nurses and dr.'s with that one. haha!
ReplyDeleteHi Darcy, I just found out what was going on and as usual you are soooo positive! Sending you hugs, Debbie
ReplyDeletePriceless story on resident! He must have gone home and thought "what a moron they must have thought me"!
ReplyDeleteGlad you have some time to make the decision. I'm sure once the time comes around you'll have all the info you'll need to make a good choice. You've been awesome thus far, so I don't anticipate anything setting you back for too long. Keep up the posts!
ReplyDeleteDarcy, thanks for keeping us updated! Sending lots of prayers, love, and hugs...glad to hear you have some time to make your decision...Love ya!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update and the laugh of the day...so glad there is a blog. We are moving our trip up a bit to see you and fam sooner. Susie
ReplyDeleteSo are you thanking Jane (UWB) for this blog thing? I must say that of all of my UWB education, the tech has been some of the most useful.
ReplyDeleteWould love to stop by after school some day if you're up to it.
I'm definitely up for seeing you after school some time soon. I could also meet you somewhere too. Maybe a day next week. Just let me know when. And yes...I agree about tech some of the most useful. See you soon!
ReplyDelete